Thursday, February 2, 2012

Why I became a Vegetarian
     

     There are a number of reasons why I became a vegetarian, but the main one is I love vegetables dishes more than meat. I prefer a veggie burger over a beef burger; I prefer egg plant parmesan over chicken parmesan. In my opinion, veggie meals taste better and they are good for your overall health. I’m not against meat or anyone who eats meat, (but I am against factory farms and the mistreatment of animals before they are killed).
    
     God gave us good food to eat, and not only are they good and tasty but they have healing aliments to cure any disease and sickness. Salads and green smoothies are a fantastic way to get your daily dose of produce. Juicing your own fruits and veggies are much healthier than drinking store bought juice, (which some contain high corn fructose syrup). Eating nuts will do wonders for your body, and snacking on fruits will give you the energy you need throughout the day.

     As I began to study more about vegetarianism I learned a lot about meat production and factory farms here in America, and all I can say is MY GOD. I had no ideal that animals are stuffed in small cages/inadequate spaces, injected with dangerous hormones and steroids for the sole purpose of making them fat, and forced to eat unhealthy GMO foods, (genetically modified organisms). The animals are stressed which causes them to become sick and then they are killed and sold to the American people. After watching several videos and documentaries about factory farms, it has encouraged me even more to not eat meat, (but if anyone desires to eat meat  it’s very important to pray over all of our food, whether meats, fruits or veggies). There is a lot of wickedness in high places, and many of these meat factories and farms do not care about the health and safety of the public, they just want to get rich.

     I wanted to write this article to encourage people to eat healthier. I was once a fast food junk eater, and I noticed my body felt more fatigued, I felt heavy, like I ate a bag of rocks, and I know it was all from what I was feeding my body. I thank God so much for placing it in our hearts to eat the healthy foods he created for us. 

Before the industrial revolution, most Americans' grew their own food, properly took care of their own cattle, and cooked their owns meals, but when big factories and corporations became popular they forced women and children away from the home to work in their factories, and the men were forced to work in the coil mines or on railroads, which left the dependence of food production in the hands of strangers whose main goal was to make money. In her book, “Green Smoothie Revolution: The Radical Leap Towards Natural Health”, Author Victoria Boutenko explains,

"Throughout human history, people consumed almost exclusively wholesome natural products grown in rich healthy soil. This way of eating underwent a dramatic shift approximately 180 years ago, when the industrial revolution began. Along with railways, sewing machines and factories, the processes of canning, refining sugar, and milling white flour were invented. These three innovations were the major contributors to an unprecedented shift in the human diet. While people eagerly embraced convenient, inexpensive and “progressive” ways of eating, they dramatically reduced their consumption of wholesome foods, especially green vegetables”

In Another book, “Death By Supermarket: The Fattening, Dumbing Down, and Poisoning of America”,  Author Nancy Deville explains the process that animals endure before being killed for the market,

"They (the animals ) are injected with hormones and because of the depraved condition in Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO), they must be given antibiotics and hundreds of drugs to keep them alive long enough to fatten for slaughter. There lonely, frightened and crazed from birth to death,…Because of the poisons in animal feed and the drugs animals are given, CAFO products contain toxins that can harm human beings…On the other hand, real food (including humanely raised animals products) contains life sustaining nutrients necessary to maintain healthy metabolic processes."

     See the problem here isn't meat, ( because I have my weak moments where I sometimes eat chicken and fish) but it’s the way meat is being produced. The same can be said with genetically modified fruits and vegetables, (that’s why whenever possible, try to eat organic).


     We have to take our health, not only back into our hands, but back into God’s hands. 
Everything God made was good, but the greed of man has made many things bad. I pray that we all reevaluate the things that we are putting into our bodies, I pray that we all grow to love the good foods that God gave us, pray over everything you eat with a prayer of Thanksgiving, and also know that there is a God given remedy for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment